United Bridge Partners (“UBP”) is an innovative infrastructure investment and operating company focused on solving public infrastructure needs with private capital. UBP develops, builds, owns, and operates private toll bridges across the United States. UBP has an exclusive partnership with the New American Bridges Fund, a $1 billion infrastructure investment fund, which provides the capital to develop and build the Company’s bridge projects. Parkersburg Bridge Partners (“PBP”) is a local subsidiary of United Bridge Partners based in Parkersburg, West Virginia. UBP’s mission is to creatively deliver and operate transportation infrastructure for America’s communities.
UBP/PBP was selected by the City of Parkersburg, WV to purchase, rehabilitate, own, operate and maintain the Parkersburg Memorial Toll Bridge in February 2021. PBP executed an Acquisition and Development Agreement (“ADA”) with the City of Parkersburg in May 2021 and immediately commenced design and pre-construction of a comprehensive rehabilitation project. PBP has committed to operating and maintaining the bridge to a high standard so that it is open for a minimum service life of 50 years.
UBP made its first investment in the reconstruction of the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge in 2010. The old Jordan Bridge was originally opened in 1928 and was operated continuously until it was closed to traffic in 2008 due to severe structural deficiencies. In late 2010, the bridge was demolished and by November 2010, UBP began construction of the new bridge. The new Jordan Bridge was completed in October 2012, and the facility was immediately opened to traffic while being owned by UBP.
UBP has recently completed its second project, the Cline Avenue Bridge (CAB), which crosses the Indiana Harbor Canal in East Chicago, Indiana. The original Cline Avenue Bridge was built in 1982 and operated until it was closed by the Indiana Department of Transportation in 2009. The old bridge was demolished by INDOT in 2012. In 2013, INDOT agreed with UBP to replace the old bridge with a new Cline Avenue Bridge that would be designed, financed, owned, and operated by UBP. CAB officially opened to traffic on December 23, 2020.
UBP is currently underway on constructing the Houbolt Road Extension in Joliet, IL, and on designing the rehabilitation of the Liberty Bridge and the replacement of the Independence Bridge in Bay City, MI.
The UBP team is currently working on additional bridges that are in various stages of development and construction which are all expected to come online over the next couple of years.
UBP is based in Denver, CO, with offices in Chesapeake, VA, East Chicago, IN, Bay City, MI, and Parkersburg, WV.
For more information see: www.unitedbridgepartners.com.
Parkersburg Bridge Partners & United Bridge Partners (collectively, “UBP”) is seeking a General Manager to direct the operations of the Parkersburg Memorial Toll Bridge (“PMB”) project during rehabilitation and after rehabilitation has been completed. The primary role of this individual will be complete end-to-end responsibility of the asset operation and ownership of the asset P&L, including demand and revenue generation, profitability acceleration, sales and marketing activities, and community outreach, relationship building and brand development. This includes managing all aspect of the PMB rehabilitation project, including working with the EVP of Construction, Contractor, O&M Contractor, Back Office service providers and other vendors of the Company to ensure the continuous operation of the project. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with complete P&L ownership and managing important community and political relationships for UBP/PBP in Parkersburg. They will be a customer focused leader who leads from the front-line vs the office. This individual will report directly to the CEO and will oversee all aspects of the PMB project. This position will be based in Parkersburg, WV.
- Manage all operational aspects of the PMB – Lead responsibility to oversee all aspects of the rehabilitation and ongoing operation of the project, ownership of the asset P&L
- Build and lead a revenue and customer focused team
- Work closely with vendors to coordinate key aspects of operations and maintenance and back-office operations
- Work with the EVP of Construction to coordinate with Kokosing Construction Company, Modjeski and Masters, Burgess & Niple, and other major subcontractor personnel to ensure safe rehabilitation and operation of the bridge and timely maintenance activities
- Communicate rehabilitation progress and provide regular and timely updates to the City, community members and public
- Procure, oversee, and manage all key bridge vendors and key contracts
- Act as fiduciary to Parkersburg Bridge Partners, United Bridge Partners, and their investors
- Report to UBP’s Board; attend Board meetings as required
- Drive Demand and Revenue Generation and Sales and Marketing Initiatives- Take primary responsibility for coordinating marketing and advertising for the Bridge and working with UBP to drive demand, revenue, and overall profitability of the asset.
- Work with UBP’s Sale and Marketing Director to generate demand, optimize revenue and accelerate the return on investment for the PMB project
- Create data-driven customer profiles to understand who uses the bridge and relevant value propositions for each customer segment; develop deep trusted relationships with key customer groups
- Work with Account Manager and Sales and Marketing Director on direct outreach efforts to local businesses and key bridge user groups to drive demand; Oversee, manage, and deliver:
- Develop and profitably grow both commercial trucking and local employer customer accounts
- Establish a network of trucking companies, employers, and contacts to become partners with UBP projects across the country
- Coordinate and direct sales, marketing, and advertising strategies to increase traffic on the Bridge
- Drive efforts to increase transponder and monthly pass penetration
- Manage PBP’s online and social media presence
- Ensure clear communication with the Bridge’s customers through all channels
- Lead efforts to develop ancillary revenue streams for the project (e.g., naming rights, partnerships, etc.)
- Emphasize the community’s awareness of the advantages of the PMB route to build the PMB brand as a preferred travel choice
- Manage Community and Political Relations – Develop relationships with community leaders and manage PMB’s public affairs process
- Build the PBP brand: Develop PBP as a positive and supportive business in the community and be a steward of goodwill
- Be the “face” of PBP – prove yourself as an active and enthusiastic member of the community
- Establish relationships with local and regional media to ensure PMB awareness and value proposition/benefits to the public
- Establish relationships with local Parkersburg and Belpre City government, County officials and State officials in both West Virginia and Ohio
- Pursue any legislative and statutory changes to facilitate PMB operations (as required and in coordination with UBP)
- Represent PBP at local and state level community associations (e.g., Chambers of Commerce, Transportation Associations, etc.)
- Establish a close working relationship with the local and state community organizations; for example, establishing the PMB within regional traffic camera network, traffic count studies, interstate and city trailblazer signage, navigation apps, etc.
- Establish relationships with regional public safety officials, including police and fire departments
- Local experience or ties in the Parkersburg/Belpre community
- Undergraduate degree in business, general management, marketing, or public relations (advanced degree a plus but not required)
- Operating experience owning a P&L and a proven track record of hitting performance targets
- Experience calling on local and state government administrators and officials
- Experience creating and executing business, marketing, growth, or demand generation plans
- Experience managing vendors and partners
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with vendors, customers, contractors, partners, and media
- Experience managing media inquiries
- Management experience and proven ability to deliver results through others, both direct and matrixed
- Experience in construction, transportation, project management a plus
Critical Competencies for Success
- Ability to execute a plan, leverage data to make decisions and a strategic mindset
- Deep local network and connections or ability to quickly develop relationships
- Ability to implement and deliver on project goals and new project objectives with a “no excuses” attitude
- Comfortable working in a dispersed operating environment without clear hierarchy or oversight
- Fit with UBP’s culture – humble, low-ego, capable of managing and communicating effectively to leaders with different personalities
- Try-anything attitude and the insight to know when to ask for help
- Ability to react quickly to investor and partner requirements
- Willingness to work independently without direct reports, “Roll up your sleeves” attitude
- Ability to quickly build a strong relationship with the principals and staff from UBP and AIM to leverage their industry expertise and connections
Other Personal Characteristics
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude
- Humble; ability to check ego at the door
- Extremely self-motivated; Self-starter; take-charge/get-it-done attitude
- Ability to quickly develop extensive local industry contacts and relationships
- Excellent communicator, both oral and written
- Collegial; partnership mentality
- Unassailable integrity and ethics
- This position is an on-site position in Parkersburg, WV.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Full array of benefits, generous paid leave, and extensive paid holidays are offered.
- Forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of Parkersburg GM and your name.